*contains affiliate links
I loved being a Girl Scout when I was young. And I took their motto to heart: Be Prepared!
That’s why I always stash a fully stocked “office survival kit” in my desk drawer. It’s saved my bacon many times – and earned me the eternal gratitude of more than a few coworkers.
Your workplace may keep some of these things stocked already, which is a great perk! But it’s no substitute for having your own stash – because sometimes the office manager is on vacation, or the delivery doesn’t arrive, or everyone else has a killer headache too. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that your “survival kit” always has your back. Read on for a quick step-by-step guide to the essentials!
Step 1: Grab a Zip-Up Makeup Bag
I find that a zip-up makeup bag is the perfect size to hold the office survival kit – it’s cute and it’s easy to stash in your desk, locker, car, etc. You probably have a bunch of them hanging around, so choose your chicest work-appropriate one. Not like this one:
In case you need a new makeup bag (or just an excuse to get a new one), here are some pretty-and-professional choices from Etsy:
Step 2: Toss in Four Fashion-Malfunction Fixers
When a seam splits, a button busts loose, or coffee lands in your lap at work, you need to fix the situation fast. Add these lifesavers to your survival kit – you’ll thank me later!
- Safety pins – You’ll find a few in the mini sewing kit (see below), but throw in a few more – this is the #1 most often-used item in my survival kit!
- Fashion tape – This super-sticky stuff fixes fallen hems, dangerously droopy necklines, and a multitude of other wardrobe mishaps.
- Shout wipes – Before these wipes came out, I used to literally go buy a new shirt if I spilled something on myself at work. These things are genius at getting rid of stains so you can get on with your day (and save your money).
- Mini sewing kit – You don’t need an arsenal of sewing supplies to reattach an errant button – a mini sewing kit has everything you need. (Fun fact: thread makes handy stand-in for dental floss when you’ve got something stuck in your teeth.)
Step 3: Just Say Yes to Drugs
Now it’s time to add any medications you might need while you’re at work. For example:
- Your preferred painkiller for a headache or cramps (I’m talking Advil here, folks, not a bottle of Jim Beam)
- Non-drowsy allergy meds, if you get hay fever
- Any prescriptions meds you take that might be needed during the workday
- Vitamins (you’ll actually remember to take these yummy gummies)
Step 4: Add Your Favorite Little Helpers
Last of all, those little things that everyone needs sometimes: band-aids, feminine hygiene supplies, dental floss, and a toothbrush and toothpaste. Finally, grab a reusable water bottle (I adore my lovely turquoise Corkcicle bottle).
That’s it! Stash your kit in a secure place in your desk or car, and you’re ready to face the workday, whatever happens.
Did I miss any essential office-survival necessities? Let me know in the comments!
*Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of my affiliate links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission for referring you. This comes at no extra cost to you. I’m grateful for your support!
Enter your email below, and you’ll be able to download my daily intention-setting tool instantly for free! You’ll also get my weekly mood-boosting email, which I hope will bring a smile to your Monday morning. (Don’t worry, you can unsubscribe anytime if it’s not your thing.)